The other day, a friend asked me where is my favorite place I’ve lived. I’ve only lived four different places since leaving home for college and snagging a boyfriend-turned-husband, but I thought it would fun to rank them accordingly. To be honest, it didn’t take much consideration to rank the following places we have called home over the past 10 years…
- Sackets Harbor, New York
- Clemson, South Carolina
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Lawton, Oklahoma
When Clay and I found out that his first duty assignment was Ft. Drum, we weren’t exactly thrilled. Moving 30 miles south of Canada wasn’t necessarily the idea of a good time for two young twenty-somethings who spent the previous four years at sunny Clemson University. And Ft. Drum doesn’t exactly have the greatest reputation in the Army – the 10th Mountain Division is one of the most deployed bodies in the military and the winters can be ridiculously harsh. But then we discovered a little resort town about 30 minutes from post called Sackets Harbor. Popular with lieutenants and captains stationed at Ft. Drum, Sackets Harbor has quaint restaurants, a handful of bars, a comedy club, and the most extraordinary views of Lake Ontario – all within walking distance for village residents. We couldn’t have asked for a better area to spend the first four years of our Army experience. And because of that, Sackets Harbor will always remain a special place filled with fantastic memories and hold the spot as my favorite place we’ve lived so far. Even with all the snow.
This week, I am thankful for…
41. the opportunity to live in different places throughout our country.
42. the Summer Olympics. Go USA!
43. a back-up coffee machine. Our primary one bit the dust this week.
44. our coffee grinder. Nothing beats fresh ground beans (yes, I am a coffee snob and proud of it).
45. my new broom. The old one had all sorts of nasty bits stuck in it.
46. a reliable and safe car. Thank you Volvo.
47. Crayola crayons; they really are the best.
48. tree removal services. The extreme heat from last summer and this summer is killing our trees!
49. a toddler who is back to sleeping through the night.
50. hydrogen peroxide to clean stubborn mildew stains in the shower.
Where has been the favorite place you’ve lived?
Thankful For: 1 – 10, 11 – 20, 21 – 30, 31-40